HAMPTONS BURGER BLOODBATH, 2011
(1) All ingredients other than meat must be supplied by competitors, and be available at retail on the East End. There will be no ingredients permitted from outside sources. Meat will be supplied by Pat LaFrieda meats; competitors may use other meat, but will do so at their own expense.
(1a) 'Ingredients' will be defined as anything presented on the plate for judging, including non-edible decoration and accouterments.
(1b) Ingredients other than those available at retail in Suffolk County must be declared at least three days before competition. All declared ingredients must be made available at cost to any competitor who so requests them on the day of the Burger Bloodbath. [Update 2010]
(2) Competitors are required to submit a list of the ingredients being used at the start of the competition. To prevent any potential home field advantages, especially, there will be no ingredients permitted other than those you list (ie. You cannot use the house ketchup).
(3) You will have two hours to prep, cook and present 5 burgers for judging; you will then be expected to cook 50 burgers for the general public, who will weigh-in via popular vote. ALL PREP OTHER THAN INGREDIENT PROCUREMENT MUST TAKE PLACE IN THESE TWO HOURS.
(3a) YOU MAY NOT PRE-MAKE INDIVIDUAL PATTIES. [Update 2010]
(4) Each competitor will be using a charcol-powered grill, supplied by the contest. Coal will also be supplied, however competitors are welcome to supply and use their own caol. NO OTHER HEAT SOURCES ARE PERMITTED DURING COMPETITION.
(4a) Burger makers are required to fire their own grills. Charcoal type is at the description of the burger maker. Chimneys other fire starting aides are permissible.
(5) The competition arena has its own peculiarities, such as limited sink and refrigeration access. Competitors will have equal access to all service areas.
(5a) Each competitor will get to choose a prep and cooking space. The order for choosing said areas will be at random, drawn from a hat 30 minutes prior to the start of competition.
(5b) If competing, the returning champion will be given first pick of prep area.
(6) Competitors are permitted to blend any combination of meats, provided AT LEAST 51% IS BEEF. Although this is a competition for the title of Best Beach Burger, competitors may use any ratio of meats, vegetables and other ingredients in their patty blends. [Updated 2010]
(7) One sous chef per competitor is permitted.
(8) You will be judged on the burger that is presented IN THE BUN. Condiments will not be taken into account if they are burgerside.
(9) There will be no access to power sources.
(9a) Battery power sources and powered appliances and tools are not permitted once competition has started.
(10) Sabotage will not be permitted and will lead to immediate and automatic disqualification.
(10a) The MC will confer with judges on any alleged cases of sabotage and, ultimately, have the authority to rule on said cases.
(11) Prep areas will be divvied before the start of competition. Choice preference will be given in reverse order of judging order.
(12) Any disputes or ambiguity based on rule book clarity, or lack thereof, will be debated openly and, ultimately, be decided by majority rule of the judge and MC.
(13) At two hours elapsed, judging will begin. Burger makers will receive a 5-minute warning before their burger is judged.
(14) The winner of the BURGER BLOODBATH will be invited to compete in the 2010 NYC Wine & Food Festival Burger Bash.